LegacyGT.org

LegacyGT.org (https://www.legacygt.org/forums/index.php)
-   Warranty/TSB Info (https://www.legacygt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2005-2009 Brake line recall WQG43 (https://www.legacygt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2750)

blackfang 06-09-2013 12:57 PM

2005-2009 Brake line recall WQG43

Got this letter Friday.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2005 - 2009 model year Subaru Legacy and Outback vehicles currently or formerly registered in at least one of the following states:
Connecticut
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
Maryland
New Jersey West Virginia
District of Columbia
Massachusetts
New York
Wisconsin
Illinois
Michigan
Ohio
Indiana
Minnesota
Pennsylvania
Iowa
Missouri
Rhode Island

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT

Subaru has determined that your vehicle may have been manufactured with brake lines that could, over time, corrode in the area of the four-way joint connector if exposed to salt.

Depending on driving conditions, salt water could splash on the brake lines in the area of the four-way joint connector resulting in corrosion of the lines. Excessive corrosion could eventually cause perforation of a brake line(s) resulting in a brake fluid leak.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD

Your vehicle has a dual circuit braking system. Each circuit works independently and diagonally across the vehicle. If one circuit of the brake system fails, the other half of the system still works. Should a brake line corrode to the point of developing a perforation, brake fluid will leak from the line(s) causing the related circuit to eventually lose effectiveness. In this situation, there would be an increase in the amount of brake pedal travel distance and foot pressure required to slow or stop the vehicle. This might cause the driver to misjudge the amount of brake pedal travel required to achieve the desired stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash.

INSPECTION / REPAIR

Subaru will inspect and test the current condition of your vehicle’s brake lines. If they are found to be acceptable, anti-rust material will be applied to the areas of concern as a preventative measure. If any of the lines are found to be unacceptable, they will be replaced and anti-rust material will be applied to the uncoated brake line areas. These repairs will be performed at no cost to you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

You should immediately contact your Subaru Dealer for an appointment to have the brake lines inspected and repaired as indicated in the “Inspection / Repair” section of this notice.

There are several important precautions you should take until this repair has been performed:

If you experience the condition described above while braking, continue to apply steady pressure on the brake pedal until the vehicle comes to a stop. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
If you notice fluid leaking from the vehicle, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
If the brake system warning light remains illuminated on the instrument panel with the parking brake fully released, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
Always maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while driving. The normally recommended minimum distance is one car length of space for every 10 mph of speed.
As a precautionary measure, it is highly recommended that you use extra care while operating the vehicle in confined areas such as parking lots and while parking your vehicle in a garage, car port or other structure.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?

The time to inspect the brake lines and apply anti-rust material is approximately 18 minutes. If it is determined that the brake lines require replacement, the total estimated repair time is 7 hours. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling.

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

If you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement consideration will be based on the amount an authorized Subaru dealer in your area would charge for the same repair.

Please send the original service repair order, which has the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Services Department

Attention: WQG-43 Recall

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but it may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE:

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to:

http://www.wqg43.service-campaign.com

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

• E-mail: Go to www.subaru.com and select “Contact Us”.

• Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET

Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET

Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET

• U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department,

P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

TSi+WRX 06-09-2013 08:23 PM

The .com thread shows some pretty interesting pix on the last two pages.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ll-204831.html

Dookie 06-10-2013 11:38 AM

Those look bad. Lucky me living in CA, because the only rust I see on my car in 7 years is the rust on the sides of the brake rotors. :lol:

john 06-10-2013 02:34 PM

Got my letter late last week.

blackfang 06-10-2013 03:25 PM

Mine is most likely fine, but I set an appointment with one of the local Subaru dealers to have this looked at.

blackfang 06-17-2013 05:39 AM

Just had it done and the technician who I used to work with showed it to me and it was fine.

TSi+WRX 06-17-2013 08:28 AM

^ Your car spent its entire life in that area of VA, correct?

Daily driver as well, right?

That's good news, for those who live right around there.

blackfang 06-17-2013 09:52 AM

No. It originally was a Maryland vehicle and it was a demo vehicle. When I worked for a Subaru dealership we got it in and I bought it from my work.

It has been my daily driver with 134,800 miles.

TSi+WRX 06-18-2013 07:05 AM

Oh, wow!

Looks like there's going to be quite a bit of variability in how far the oxidation went in unique vehicles, then.

Thanks for the follow-up, blackfang!