First Upgrades - Page 4 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #61
mcnamaraz

Just installed my Cobb CIA over the weekend and my Cobb AP. I have to say, pretty sweet. Totally different car. I am not sure about the noise of the CIA, but I am sure it will grow on me. I've kept the stock just in case ; ). Also thinking about a CBE, but I have the GT limited and already have a DP, so not sure if I really need it. It would be louder, but gains would be minimal to none. Thoughts?
mcnamaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #62
john

Send a message via AIM to john

Which odds do you refer to, kagenmateer?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #63
havanisda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraz
Just installed my Cobb CIA over the weekend and my Cobb AP. I have to say, pretty sweet. Totally different car. I am not sure about the noise of the CIA, but I am sure it will grow on me. I've kept the stock just in case ; ). Also thinking about a CBE, but I have the GT limited and already have a DP, so not sure if I really need it. It would be louder, but gains would be minimal to none. Thoughts?
CBE on the stock turbo is about looks & sound.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #64
TSi+WRX

^ I agree that the gains would be minimal (as compared to things like the DP) - but definitely not "none," mcnamaraz.

It's definitely more about the sound, though.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #65
mcnamaraz

I'm thinking about it more and more!

Any suggestions on the CBE? I have heard people rant and rave about Perrin.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #66
TSi+WRX

^ The Perrins are very, very nice. Great materials and overall fit and finish - the only con is that they're on the loud side. But if that's not a problem for you, then go for it, as they're not only loud, but their tone is very pleasing, and well-accentuates the LGT's boxer rumble.

Honestly, if I had my way and didn't have to worry about the wifey complaining, I'd have the Perrin CBE.

There are, however, many nice systems out there - just do a search on .com, you'll see just about everything listed. You can find just about anything, now, for the '05-'07 LGT fitment, anything from budget-minded to outrageously JDM are totally possible.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #67
mcnamaraz

I have seen what looks like a fairly nice CBE on Ebay for 350 shipped. Probably not the best quality, but the fit and finish from the photos looks like a decent system.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #68
SubieChik
LXRY STI

Go single
SubieChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #69
havanisda

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #70
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraz
I have seen what looks like a fairly nice CBE on Ebay for 350 shipped. Probably not the best quality, but the fit and finish from the photos looks like a decent system.
The XO2 and other similar "generics" on eBay definitely do not offer the same level of fit nor finish as that of the more reputable brands (typically starting at the $600 level), but with some prep-work (search on .com, you'll find the necessary threads), yes, they can look nice.

But don't expect them to look that nice, though, out-of-the-box, both in terms of their overall finish, versus the advertisement pictures, as well as how it fits on your car.

You'll need to put in the work, to make up for the cost.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #71
havanisda

I think another concern w/these "cheap" exhausts is rust. Idk what they use on the roads in Denver but here in the winter they salt the roads and I've read where these CBEs can rust in 1 or 2 winters.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 AM   #72
TSi+WRX

^ +1. A BIG +1.

That's plainly evident by the XO2 complaint threads on .com.

With the cheaper exhausts, *definitely* take the time to prep them for any corrosive-environment (seacoast living, Rust Belt or other winter road-treated areas, etc.).

I'd honestly go so far as to truly detail-prep before install.

Case-in-point.

I spent quite a bit of money on my cat-back setup, primarily because I was worried about the road-treatments we used here in NE-Ohio, the epicenter of the Midwest's "Rust Belt."

I have a Lachute/Magnaflow resonated mid-pipe, splitting into a Lachute Y, mated to a pair of Blitz NurSpec Touring canisters. With the canisters bought second-hand, I still spent nearly $1300 on just this part of the setup alone.

I've had the setup on my car for 3 winter now - the under-car pipes have less surface-corrosion than even "brand new" OEM pipes (which surface-oxidize rapidly, but that's actually inhibitory to rust-through), and my rear canisters, although needing a polish to be true "show quality," still wipe-down to an embarrassingly shiny luster, after an entire winter's worth of not caring for it, with just a spray of "mag wheel cleaner" and a quick once-over with a microfiber towel.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #73
kagenmateer

I wish my Xo2 was that easy to clean. It's not too bad though. I use steel wool to clean it up.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #74
sousa15

Just bought an '05 LGT Limited Auto.... I went for a K&N CAI as my first upgrade and it was so loud that I had to take it back off and return it. Didnt feel like it added much in the way of power anyway, so no loss there. I think the ride is a bit soft and bouncy, was thinking maybe the mild Eibach Pro-spring kit as my next upgrade, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Was also wondering about adding a nice turbo boost gauge maybe on the pillar, any recommendations on this?
sousa15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #75
sousa15

oh and one more thing, is a boost gauge hard to install? Im an electrician so I can do a little more than the average joe, but should it be professionally installed?
sousa15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #76
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa15
oh and one more thing, is a boost gauge hard to install? Im an electrician so I can do a little more than the average joe, but should it be professionally installed?
It's a perfect "first mod" kind of project, actually - and your electrical experience as well as general mechanical know-how will mean that you truly shouldn't run into any problems.

Brother john's boost-gauge install instructions are among the most clear and complete:

http://jsalmi.com/car/boostgauge/

The BOV reference line tap is one of the two ways to do this, and both provide comparable results.

If you searched on .com, there's also what's called the "AVO method," for tapping the line - closer to the manifold, for those who prefer it.

As for pillar mounting, there are now direct-replacement aftermarket A-pillar pods available (again, check on .com) - and DIY mounting of, say, a single or multiple gauge-cups in such a position is possible as well. There are several threads on such, including ones which should help guide you on the airbag issue (one old thread featured detailed pictures of the curtain airbag componentry, in-situ, as well as post-deployment pix):

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95724

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5480632/

http://www.progressive.com/video/05_..._Legacy_SI.asx

Those should serve as a good morale boost to get you started.

There are also pods which allow mounting in the A-pillar/dash corner, too, such as the AVO pod.

7th Subaru Family
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #77
kagenmateer

...and in reference to the intake, the stock intake air flow is more than sufficient until you're well into stage 3, so getting rid of the K&N may have actually helped your car's stock map perform better. And for suspension improvement, if you want a subtle improvement in performance without sacrificing much of your ride quality, the most popular combination tends to be JDM "Pinks" springs with Bilstein HD struts. Here's a guy that did the combo: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...pinks+bilstein

G/L!
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote