First Upgrades - Page 3 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #41
brownrice

I have the Invidia catted DP, and there is still a faint smell, but i think it is rather tolerable.
brownrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #42
mcnamaraz

I am currently thinking of the Perrin catted DP as an alternative. I did notice a big difference in power from no cat at all to the stock cat. However, the UP does offer some nice gains just by itself.
mcnamaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #43
john

Send a message via AIM to john

I'm catless and the smell drives me nuts as well. Driving with the windows or sunroof open exposes me to a lot of stink.

At least e85 smells a bit better than gasoline... I'm sure you could find someone to swap a catted DP for your catless DP. Again - try the .com site as it gets substantially more traffic than the .org.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #44
mcnamaraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I'm catless and the smell drives me nuts as well. Driving with the windows or sunroof open exposes me to a lot of stink.

At least e85 smells a bit better than gasoline... I'm sure you could find someone to swap a catted DP for your catless DP. Again - try the .com site as it gets substantially more traffic than the .org.
Yeah, just in one day my clothes were smelling like my old '67 Mustang Fastback I had. And being in Colorado, we have such nice air...it was making me crazy just in one day.

I'll go check out the .com site and see what's happening. Thank again guys!

Next on my list...CobbAP. Then maybe CBE and CAI. That's gonna be later this year for sure.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
mcnamaraz

Quote:

Can you run E85 in these cars with no issues?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #46
john

No issues whatsoever. You'll need more fuel capacity - injectors, fuel pump and a tune. At 16psi my car made 394 awhp and 395 ft/lbs burning e85. Marvelous stuff.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #47
mcnamaraz

Quote:
No issues whatsoever. You'll need more fuel capacity - injectors, fuel pump and a tune. At 16psi my car made 394 awhp and 395 ft/lbs burning e85. Marvelous stuff.
So I can't just fill my car up now as is and expect it to run...?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #48
NFryan

Im new here too and just bought an 05 LGT.. So an up pipe for and STI which is like 50 bones on ebay. And a high flow catted down pipe will be a good start... How hard is this to do. I have access to tools and have done bigger projects before (timing belt , head gaskets etc.) just not on a any subaru yet.. Any advice. pointers. O yea can someone elaborate a little more on how to trick the up cat sensor with the resistor.. Thanks! any info will help..
NFryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #49
mcnamaraz

Just installed the Perrin High Flow DP w/cat tonight. Took me about an hour or so to do. So far, I am not smelling that distinctive odor. So far, so good.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #50
havanisda

Is that the 1-piece Perrin DP or the 2-piece & a biscuit?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #51
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraz
So I can't just fill my car up now as is and expect it to run...?
Nope - you will need a tune at a minimum. If you want to make more power, you'll need injectors and possibly a fuel pump.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #52
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFryan
Im new here too and just bought an 05 LGT.. So an up pipe for and STI which is like 50 bones on ebay. And a high flow catted down pipe will be a good start... How hard is this to do. I have access to tools and have done bigger projects before (timing belt , head gaskets etc.) just not on a any subaru yet.. Any advice. pointers. O yea can someone elaborate a little more on how to trick the up cat sensor with the resistor.. Thanks! any info will help..
Congrats on the purchase. The STI uppipe will bolt right up and eliminate one of the 3 cats. As far as how hard - not all that difficult, just time consuming. If you have access to a lift, I'd drop the header, unbolt the uppipe, bolt in your new uppipe and reinstall the header. Once could also approach it from the engine bay side, but it'd be more of a pain.

The sensor in the uppipe is EGT, not an O2 sensor. There is a mod which involves putting a resistor in place of the EGT sensor. But since it's an STI uppipe, there should be a bung available for the sensor.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 04-03-2009, 04:47 AM   #53
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraz
Just installed the Perrin High Flow DP w/cat tonight. Took me about an hour or so to do. So far, I am not smelling that distinctive odor. So far, so good.

Was there a noticeable difference in noise with the catted downpipe?

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #54
TSi+WRX

Quote:
The sensor in the uppipe is EGT, not an O2 sensor. There is a mod which involves putting a resistor in place of the EGT sensor.

You finally got it!

Just teasin'. Would't do it if I didn't love ya, my old DSM friend.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #55
kagenmateer

For the record, the STi UP I bought doesn't have an EGT bung. Resistor mod is what I have planned. And unless I missed it, nobody mentioned that a drop-in panel filter (as opposed to a CAI) will work just fine until you get much farther into modding...such as a larger turbo.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX

You finally got it!

Just teasin'. Would't do it if I didn't love ya, my old DSM friend.
I tell ya pal - senility is a marvelous drug...

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #57
mcnamaraz

Quote:
Was there a noticeable difference in noise with the catted downpipe?
Yes, there was a difference from the stock to the HF Cat. Its sounds a lot like the catless did, but maybe a tad less "whoosing" sound.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #58
Dookie
;-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenmateer
For the record, the STi UP I bought doesn't have an EGT bung. Resistor mod is what I have planned. And unless I missed it, nobody mentioned that a drop-in panel filter (as opposed to a CAI) will work just fine until you get much farther into modding...such as a larger turbo.
Yup, from what I've read, CAI is better with a tune. Otherwise they basicly work the same.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #59
Dookie
;-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFryan
Welcome to the site. Just like John said, changing the UP is not hard to do, just very time consuming. For your first time, allow yourself 2-3 hrs, plus make sure you have a few new bolts ready since I'm sure some will snap off when removing. I had to replace 3 bolts when I did mine.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #60
kagenmateer

I can't say I like those odds.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote