Crucial Downpipe Install! - Page 2 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #21
Drift Monkey
LGT.org resident p0st wh0r3

Send a message via AIM to Drift Monkey

You yanks always tickle me with your inspection and cat worries...
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #22
jedimaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX

BTW: jedi - totally off-topic, but have you read Stephen King's _Cell_ yet? I just picked it up at the library earlier this week, and I'm about half-way through (which is pretty good for me, as I'm a slow reader, and also only get time to read right before I turn-in for the night), and I'm totally hooked on it. It's not quite about "zombies" in the traditional sense, but I think you'll like it too.
Hey, nope I haven't. Maybe over the summer- my Grad work will be done and I might actually have time for pleasure reading!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #23
TSi+WRX

^ Gotcha. Best of luck on finishing your school stuff!

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
jedimaster

Thanks dude!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #25
kagenmateer

So, I want to make sure I've got this straight. I've been planning on buying a catted DP and having that be the only cat...like this one (just an example)

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showprod...&cat=13&page=1

Correct me if I'm wrong; I can/should get something like the Crucial shorty DP and there will still be a section (midpipe?) with a stock cat in it.

I have the exhaust pictured in the attachment and am confused as to what exactly the pipe with the resonator in it is. That is the midpipe, no? There is another section of midpipe just after the DP? I guess my question is, if I buy that crucial DP (I like this particular one with the ceramic), will there still be a stock cat after the turbo. I'm having a hard time putting the complete system together in my head. IIRC, it goes: header/manifold, UP, DP, mid-pipe, mid-pipe, y-pipe, cans. ??!!

Going with the shorty DP and stock mid will look decent for visual inspection?

What I really need is a diagram of the exhaust system...the one in my head has holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture014.jpg (102.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by kagenmateer; 05-12-2007 at 06:49 PM.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #26
kagenmateer

Here's the picture in my head...how far off am I? Should this be done better? If I'm planning for stage II AP, should I do all Crucial for "crucial" maps? I'm thoroughly confused. HELP!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (26.9 KB, 28 views)
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
the stock DP is two piece....one cat in each. Replacing the short section off the turbo still leaves one rather efficient cat further away from the turbo. The close-coupled cat is for cold start emissions - as long as you have the stock third cat in place and bring the car in warmed up, you will pass a sniffer test.
I thought they do it through the obdII port now? That's how my last test was anyways.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
havanisda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
I thought they do it through the obdII port now? That's how my last test was anyways.
It varies state by state and maybe even by county now.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenmateer
Here's the picture in my head...how far off am I? Should this be done better? If I'm planning for stage II AP, should I do all Crucial for "crucial" maps? I'm thoroughly confused. HELP!!
That's a good diagram, and no, you don't need a special map, based on your proposal.

Back in the days, Cobb's requirement for "Stage II" OTS mapping was that the first of the stock post-turbo cat. was removed (and the pre-turbo cat. removed for "safety"). Although this will still cap power, due to one of the post-turbo cats still remaining, it was deemed "safe," but simply not optimized (for which Cobb recommended, at "Stage II," OTS, that the *entire* post-turbo exhaust tract be totally de-catted) for power delivery.

The preservation of the last of the three factory post-turbo cat. will allow you to pass most visual inspections without trouble - however, this is highly dependent on the knowledge-level of the technician. While both the UP cat. as well as the first of the post-turbo cats is very hard to visualize (especially if you were to be able to retain factory heat-shields), a well-knowledged tech can and will notice their absence. But the chances of a tech knowing? that's what you're playing with.

In terms of the OBD-II check, you should fulfill all readiness factors, provided that you have some form of aftermarket EM.

In terms of a "sniffer" check, off-idle, with a good tune, having the last factory cat. in-place or a good-quality aftermarket high-flow cat. will insure that you pass with no concerns.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
UTwrestler22

How do i see if a catless dp is legal in my state? Also, is it risky to mess with the bill of sale if buying from a pvt owner? Would the dmv even notice or care?
UTwrestler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Dookie
;-0

Check with your local smog shops, they should know if it's legal or not. DMV will only care if you received your Cert for passing the smog test.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
UTwrestler22

Aaaaand bill of sale? Anyone?
UTwrestler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #33
TSi+WRX

Truthfully, your local car-enthusiast community will know best, and that's where you really need to take this particular set of question of yours.

Every state - and even locale - is different, and your local enthusiasts will be the ones who will have the pulse of things.

I'll use myself as an example:

In Ohio, only certain metro areas require emissions checks. This check include a visual inspection, but depending on the knowledge-level of the technician - as well as their personal inclinations, for that matter...remember some work in the auto industry not because they have to, but because they genuinely like cars - they may not even give you any hassles for an obvious test-pipe, or they can give you all hell for having simply one less cat. than you're supposed to (in an '05 LGT, for example, you're supposed to have 3). There's known stations where the technicians are modded-car friendly, and there are known modifications that one can undertake to help the car get pass even the more stringent instructions.

Go to your local enthusiasts, they'll help guide you thorough this one.

7th Subaru Family