Brake Caliper Rebuild - Walkthru - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Braking

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Dookie
;-0

Default Brake Caliper Rebuild - Walkthru

After several months of figuring out my heavy vibrations under braking, found out I had a frozen piston on my driverside caliper. Here is my walkthru to rebuilding the caliper.

1. Disconnect the brake line from the back, twist a shop towel through the banjo (to prevent leaking) and tie it up out of the way.
2. Unbolt the 2 slider bolts and pull the caliper off.

Pic of caliper

3. Use an air compressor to push the pistons out, make sure to place a few pieces of wood to catch the piston and not damage them. Takes about 40 - 60 psi from the compressor.

4. Pull the pistons out and carefully remove the inner seal, try not to scratch the inner walls.

Pics of the new seals and boot covers with the old pistons.

5. Clean and wash the caliper in soap and water, do not use any degreasers. Use a 2000 grit wet sandpaper to remove any burnt or ruff areas inside the caliper if needed.

6. Dry and air blast any remaining water or dust.
7. Place the new inner seal in place and grease (piston grease) or oil (brake 0il) to the inner cylinder, seal and piston.

Last edited by Dookie; 12-31-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote