Idling Issue - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
mjoh

Default Idling Issue

Hey,

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT with about 170k miles.

SinceI bought it a few months ago i have changed the following:

- Rear shocks
- Front half axles
-the Coil
-Dealer said he cleaned out the IAC.

Here is my issue. When the car is idling it vibrates, not too bad but still enough to be extremely annoying. After looking at several sites online, I can see that a lot of people have a similar issue.

Mechanic is saying that the motor mounts def needs to be changed so my question is, should I do this ? Or should I have the following changed: MAF, IAC and TPS?

Thanks for any information you guys might have.

Martin
mjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Dookie
;-0

Welcome to the Forum!

Well, rough idle can be several things. A car this old with those mileage may need some new motor mounts, but inspect them first. If they look dry and cracked then replace them.

When was the last time you change the sparkplugs? Cleaned the MAF sensor? Cleaned the fuel injectors? I like to start with the simple things first then work my way up to the more difficult ones.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
mjoh

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The Mechanic said new motor mounts are needed but I have not checked that. He also said that he checked the spark plugs and that they are fine. I am not sure if he cleaned the MAF sensor but is this something I can do myself? Fuel injectors I doubt has been checked. He also said that he had cleaned the IAC valve.

Thanks
mjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Dookie
;-0

I'm not 100% sure with the older generations, but here's a pic I found related to your model year.

It should be easy to get to, and it's connected close to your air box. Take the unit off and inside you'll see a prong hanging down. I like to use alcohol and some Q-tips to clean the prong from all debris, but you have to be very careful not to break it. Otherwise, auto stores sell MAF spray cleaners for around $8 bucks. Spray it good and let it dry before reinstalling it.

Good Luck.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote