Intake Silencer Removal - Page 4 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #61
Dookie
;-0

Possible boost leak in the intake? Every once in a while I would need to tighten the fittings connecting to the TMIC. Secure all connections 1st before you reset, just to be on the safe side.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #62
blk2.5GT

Oh, I was just saying I'm going to reset the ECU like you said and after that comes the reflash. Correct?
blk2.5GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #63
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie
Possible boost leak in the intake? Every once in a while I would need to tighten the fittings connecting to the TMIC. Secure all connections 1st before you reset, just to be on the safe side.
+1. Definitely do this - great catch, Dookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2.5GT
Oh, I was just saying I'm going to reset the ECU like you said and after that comes the reflash. Correct?
In all honesty, it looks like your car is learning itself back well enough. Without datalogging, we'll never really know, but given that boost "keeps coming back," I'd be willing to just let the car run for a couple more days.

When you reflash, you'll essentially be resetting the ECU, so there's no need to do that, prior.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #64
blk2.5GT

Sounds goods, thanks for the advice...you guys are awesome!

-Robert
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #65
Dookie
;-0

Speaking of boost leaks, I just blew my intake hose off again last night. I felt a drop in power driving home and then notice I was only running 8 psi of boost at WOT. Need to find some better hose clamps.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #66
blk2.5GT

That sucks
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #67
Dookie
;-0

Sure does, like I sad before, it happens every once in a while. I jinxed myself with my previous post.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #68
Dookie
;-0

Found out I didn't have a leaking hose, all hoses were secured tight. There were no codes, just a loss of boost psi by 50%. Then I thought, "great it's either the BPV or the Turbo going out". Pulled the BPV out to inspect it, pressed on the valve and it seemed tight and in good working order. Before I decide to pull the DP off to inspect the Wastegate, figured I reset the ECU (OBDII reset) as mention by TSI. Thank god I did, as it did fix my boost issue. Boost is now back to normal.

Funny how my car developed the same issue during the same time as this discussion.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #69
TSi+WRX

^ Dookie, did you datalog, or manage to look at the IAM before you reset?

The reason I ask is because if your IAM falls low enough (for whatever reason), it'll pull boost down to wastegate only (which would be "about half" of what a "Stage II" car might otherwise see).

And if the IAM fell, then you need to find out why........

7th Subaru Family
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #70
Dookie
;-0

No I didn't datalog before I reset. Was going to datalog only if the reset didn't work and have Infamous1 take a look at it. I'll remember to do this next time if/when it happens again. That was strange though, I've been running Stage I for 2.5 years now with no issues. But then again, the car just broke 100k miles a few weeks back, so I guess it's time to prepare for somethings to go wrong.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #71
blk2.5GT

Ok, I'm thinking that this thread is cursed. A few days ago I took off my SPT intake and put my stock airbox (minus the silencer) back on the car. Yesterday, I noticed the car was making a high pitched shreeking noise (like a damn bottle rocket) starting around 3,500 RPM's under moderate acceleration. I thought it might just be the turbo since I took the silencer off. On my way to work, the car lost about 50% power. I hooked up the AP and ran the live boost option and it read 12.8 PSI. The car doesn't even feel like its running that. It's like the turbo is spinning and not making any boost at all. I popped the hood and check the hoses and clamps but didn't find anything that was loose. I reflashed the car today before this happened, but the shreeking noise started yesterday. WTF??!

-Robert
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #72
TSi+WRX

^ Something is leaking - that banshee's wail is most likely some kind of mating surface that didn't go back together correctly. The car can actually achieve target boost with a *huge* leak in the pre-turbo part of the tract (i.e. if you've got 2 of three of the manifold-to-UP bolts totally lost, and the 3rd one is loose! ).

-----

Dookie, definitely look at the IAM first, next time.

7th Subaru Family
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #73
blk2.5GT

A co-wroker of mine has a WRX and said he had the same issue. His was the sensor in the DP blowing air out. We took a look at that and it was a little loose. Took it out for a test drive and the scream turn into an elephant sound (yep). We inspected the engine and found that a few of the clamps were loose, with one almost completly off. We tighten them and ran the car again. I hooked up the AP and boost is running at 15.4 psi. The car is running great now! (Knock on wood)

-Robert
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #74
Dookie
;-0

Cool, glad you found it. I remember when my UP came loose, it sounded like I was driving a loud whistle down the street. Yup, those boost leaks can be a beotch for the 1st few times until you know the different sounds they make. Then you'll be able to pin point it next time.

TSI - I most certainitly will check it next time, thanks!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:18 AM   #75
irishboom2

does the 13 have a removable silencer?
irishboom2 is offline   Reply With Quote