summer tires in snow - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Wheels & Tires

Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
ruggerheist

Default summer tires in snow

wasnt expecting snow this early in the season. so with that being said summer rubber does NOT work in any snow making my travels today a bit hairy
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
TSi+WRX

Yep.

Unfortunately, any kind of frozen-precipitation is going to cause any kind of "summer tire" to really, really suffer for traction: dangerously so.

The degree to which a "summer tire" can cope with simple cold temperatures and cold-but-not-frozen-precip. varies. With some of the very, very aggressive near-R-Compound street-tires, you're looking at significant decreases in the micro/macro level of traction that the tires can confer, from their compounding, as temperatures drop...on the other hand, a more sedate "summer tire" may not see any shortcomings in grip until there's actually frozen precipitation covering the ground.

Russian enthusiast publications have already, years ago, found that so-called "summer tires" can continue to offer better emergency braking as well as lane-change/maneuverability performance than "winter tires," as long as the roadway is clear of any frozen precipitation, even as temperatures drop to-freezing. This rather counter-to-dogma observation led to their recommendation that drivers not be overly worried about switching early to "winter tires," and then to also not un-necessarily delay the switch back to "summer tires" in the spring, letting not the absolute temperatures be the guide, but rather the chances of encountering frozen precipitation on the roadway.

The "45-degrees F.-and-below" change-over to "winter tires" is as much a catchy marketing gimmic as it is the manufacturers' attempt to cover their asses from liability as-based on the lowest-common-denominator mass-public.

The data shows us otherwise.

But yes, it's imperative that for those of you who like to play this one close to the chest, to be sure to keep a good eye on the weather forecast so that you can take those slicks off before the roadways become frozen and slick!

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
ruggerheist

^ noted, i was planning on running them into late November anyway but this weekend was a freak show
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
TSi+WRX

^ Yep, after I learned that most of what I'd "felt" was just that - subjective, and did not represent true reality - that's what I'd started doing, too.

The thing that I have to balance on my plate is that I need to be absolutely sure that I can get the tires changed out before the weather swings: so right around this time of year, I start to hover over weather forecasts like crazy.

7th Subaru Family
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Dookie
;-0

What is this thing you guys call "snow".
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
john

Send a message via AIM to john

I run the same summer-type tires all year around. The last time I owned snow tires was back in the late 80s.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
ruggerheist

even in snow/ice?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
soloz2

We got snow last week and I parked my car for a couple days until I could get my winter shoes installed.
soloz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerheist
even in snow/ice?
Yes. I've owned AWD cars since the early 90s and have had pretty good luck not buying snow tires.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerheist
even in snow/ice?
There's a lot to be said for a driver's experience level - remember that Click and Clack are fond of citing "Subris" in the winter: referring to overzealous and/or just plain stupid Subaru drivers who manage to get carried away when there's snow on the ground, and put their vehicles into a ditch or other recovery situations.

Varying types of "All-Season" and even "Summer" tires will have variable amounts of absolute grip capabilities when there's frozen precip. on the ground. As long as the driver can keep the vehicle within the reduced performance envelope that such compromised tires calls for, then he/she will be safe.

Can I be "safe" with a set of "All-Season" tires?

I don't doubt that I can.

But in putting on the winter tires, I'm simply expanding my vehicle's performance/safety envelope - the latter, especially, is what I am searching for.

But at the same time, what's right for me may not be the same for everyone.

A good set (or two ) of winter tires is a significant monetary investment, and there's also the time needed to change your wheel/tire setup or the further cost (in terms of both time and money) of getting your "summer" tires dismounted and your "winters" mounted.

There's no magical all-in-one solution. Anyone trying to sell you that, when you're buying tires, is just trying to take your money.

There's *ALWAYS* compromises.

7th Subaru Family
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
john

^^ What Allen said.

‹^› ‹(•ฟ•)› ‹^›
Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
ruggerheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX

But in putting on the winter tires, I'm simply expanding my vehicle's performance/safety envelope - the latter, especially, is what I am searching for.
this x89765