05 GT Wagon clutch issues - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Drivetrain

Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
L3gacy

Default 05 GT Wagon clutch issues

Stock clutch got worn out over time, after a lot of research I decided on ditching the DMFW and going with an Exedy stage 1 clutch and ACT streetlite SM flywheel. Was great for a while (other than the classic cement mixer sound you get from the LWFW) than, started to get the telltale TOB chirp(dissapeared when clutch was depressed) and engangement began to get real shuddery. Brought it in to the shop, they tore apart my tranny and it turned out there were some bearings in my Diff that were bad. New pilot and TOB along with the bearings, still went easy on the clutch until I got to about 600 miles or so. Slowly began to slip more and more, so I bring it in a second time, flywheel and clutch both have improper wear and are completely fried. They told me that the parts were from a WRX and incompatible. As I stated before, I did my research and there are many posts on the same car, with the same setup and all have worked well. I purchased another stage 1 organic, with an Exedy LWFW thinking maybe their was some inconsitiencies between EXEDY and ACT parts. After the New parts were installed, immediatly got the same TOB- like chirp, and engangement just recently has begun to get worse (still in break in period, still have been very gentle with RPMs) I am now getting the same whirring/chirp like sound, but this time while in gear at low RPMs as well as idle. I’m pretty frustrated at this point, really dont want to spend another $1000 on ANOTHER clutch and flywheel. I would really like to stick with SMFW and a beefier clutch so I can handle future modifications, however this is getting pretty ridiculous. I do have a cobb short shifter installed, I have had the shop look over it quite a few times now and they say everything looks normal, though I would like your guy’s input. Is there anyway the shifter might have something do with the issues i’m having however unlikely? Could there be some important differences between a 2005 or 2005.5 model legacy gt wagon? Everything I have read online, and even Rallysportdirect says that the WRX parts should work perfectly. I love this car, and shes only got 73k on her, but these clutch problems are driving me mad and making me want to get rid of her. Thanks guys, any help/ tips would be greatly appreciated.
L3gacy is offline   Reply With Quote