Knock on 2009 Legacy GT + stage 1 Cobb tune - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > ECU Tuning & Performance Electronics

Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
2009LGT

Default Knock on 2009 Legacy GT + stage 1 Cobb tune

My setup:
2009 Legacy GT 5MT
~59K miles
Bought it Oct 2017 with ~52k miles, bone stock
Always use 93 octane. I stop wherever for gas, but most of the time it's b/w Exxon, QuikTrip, or Walmart/Murphy station.

I just bought an AccessPort (AP3-SUB-003) and flashed the stage 1 93 oct map to my car yesterday. I drove it with that map for the first time this morning from home to work (~5 mi total). The first ~0.5 mi is residential, then ~3.5 mi highway @ 65mph, then 0.5 mi.

I put up the knock sum and fine knock learn. I noticed ~8-16 on knock sum through the first residential part. For the highway part it got up to I think 27 total, then the last portion it got up to 34. Then it reset itself (I came to a full stop for a few seconds, maybe that's why?) I drove up two levels in a parking garage and then backed into a space. When I parked, it was up to 27 again, most of that I believe was when backing up.

Also, I never saw fine knock learn move. It stayed 0.0 the whole time.

I did NOT notice a knocking sound, but I did feel it idle a bit rough (not really rough, but definitely noticeable). Though, I have noticed the same rough idling for months under the stock map, so I'm not sure if it's related to the stage 1 map at all. I've run only 93 oct since I bought it in Oct 2017 with 52k miles. I went ahead and reverted to the stock map b/c I wasn't sure if the knock was normal or not (new to tuning). After I started it up with the stock map again, for a minute or so in park, it dipped to ~500 rpm maybe 3 times, but never stalled.

I mostly have used Exxon and QT and haven't used Walmart in a while, so I'm not sure if it's a bad quality gas issue, though I'm thinking to start only doing Top Tier gas in the future to be sure.

Since, then I've been reading forums and a Cobb knock article on their website, so I do wonder how much is false knock and how much may be of concern. If I flash the stage 1 before going home, then log the data, what should I be paying attention to on the way home? Also, with the 500 rpm dips on the factory map, is that likely just the ECU relearning or something else?
2009LGT is offline   Reply With Quote