05 Legacy GT Limited brake upgrade - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Braking

Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
bcdeagle

Default 05 Legacy GT Limited brake upgrade

I just bought an 05 Legacy GT Limited and the brake pedal is pretty long and spongy. Has anyone upgraded the brake package on a similar car, and if so what did you do? What parts did you use, etc? Thanks
bcdeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Saul_Good

I'd start off upgrading/flushing the brake system with newer fluid and maybe some newer pads with a higher Mu (friction coeffiecient). That's a low cost alternative before even thinking about spending a grip of money on stuff you may not need or is considered overkill.
Saul_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
TSi+WRX

Welcome to teh .org.

Given the age and mileage of an '05, you can likely benefit by going with stainless-steel lines.

While you're there, go ahead and completely flush and bleed the assembly - and re-fill with good fluid. Routine bleeding can also help tremendously.

Better pads - and remembering to bed the pads properly - will also help tremendously with not only pedal-feel, but also with the actual braking abilities of the vehicle.

Truly, unless you track the car, you won't need a "big-brake kit." Well, unless, of course, you like the looks.

Like Saul said, there's actually very little that needs to be done to the BL/BP's brake hardware, to get it up-to-par.

Oh, and better tires will help - a lot.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Dookie
;-0

Just like the others, brake flush and bleeding will help tighten up things. Stainless brake lines will firm things up more.

As for the brakes it self, the most popular setup is getting a new pair of "blank" rotors and a set of Hawk HPS pads. This setup has been the #1 setup in the LGT community for daily street driving and light track days. A huge improvement over stock.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote