Got Boost? - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Engine, Power, & Performance

Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
jedimaster

Default Got Boost?

Then show it! I spent a little time installing a boost gauge the other night and I'm happy with how it went. My back, however is not thanking me from all the time I spent bent over under the hood (waiting for DM's jokes here ).

To start off, I took my engine cover off- for extra frustration, drop one of the popit clips onto the engine cover. For a bonus, drop another one in the electric fan as you put the cover back on.

Here's the hose you're looking for- it's attached to the recirc valve and just pulls off.

I used a large t-fitting to be sure things would fit snugly- this is a version you can cut to fit, but I just pressed it together. I began by inserting the nylon hose for the boost gauge into the bottom of the "T". I wrapped tape around my connections because the white plastic sticks out like a sore thumb otherwise and it couldn't hurt to keep everything a little more secure.

Make a cut on the hose from the recirc valve and place the two ends that run in a straight line to each other in the hose ends. Again, I wrapped some electrical tape around everything so it wouldn't be so obvious.

I then routed the hose over and across the intercooler (you might not want to do that on a hot engine, but mine was cool).

I originally was set on using this grommet to route the hose into the passenger compartment, but there's so much junk under the dashboard that I literally couldn't see the hose. The heater core, etc. are all in the way.

This was the way I went instead. I just poked a little hole in the rubber and fed the hose through. The hose will wind up visible this time. Unfortunately, you may have to take the glove box out to reach in and route it to the location I ultimately used. I couldn't get my arm in far enough to reach the hose, so being that I've had the glove box out already and knew what to expect (due to the excellent thread on installing the cabin air filter), I pulled it out again.

I then routed the nylon hose neatly along the engine compartment- there are clips holding the electrical harness that are perfect for keeping the hose out of the way of excessive engine heat/ vibration. Then I put the engine cover back on (don't forget to drop your popits- extra points for doing this with a flashlight after dark) and covered the hose with plastic wire loom I had left over from a stereo install.

Here's the part where you're gonna cringe. I took the center cubby and vents out (it just pulls out) and found that the gauge needs a little more room than what came with the car- I used a dremel to carve out just enough of an indentation so the gauge fits snugly.

Next, I dremeled out a hole in the back of the cubby for the wires and hose to get to the gauge. I forgot to take pictures of this, but the light in the cubby that comes on when you turn your headlights on is a great spot to tap for power. The power wire is purple and the black with yellow wire is grounded. Make sure you have enough room to get your wires and hose through to the gauge.

Here's the final result- I may eventually add a panel so it looks more professional, but for now it's functional and allows room for my cell phone. And like someone else said, you can close it and people don't know you have a gauge in there. This is an el cheapo Autometer Phantom boost gauge, but it suits me- it came with a red bulb condom so when you turn the lights on, the combo of red light and white face match the scheme of the nighttime lighting of the car pretty well.

Since installing the Autometer gauge, I've changed over to the VEI digital gauge and I like it much better- I've also installed a faceplate to mount the gauge in- pix to come!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Bu11dogg2
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Bu11dogg2

Thanks Jedi!!!

You the man!!!
Bu11dogg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
jedimaster

Hey, it's....what I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
gt_ltd

gt_ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
firedawgs

You did that a long time ago right?? First mod or something.
firedawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
jedimaster

I don't remember what I did first, but it was a long time ago. I like the VEI so much better.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
LGT Chris

I purchased the AVO dash pod and some cheap-ass DELFI replica that is too hard to read, especially with polorized sunglasses. Is your VEI still mechanically driven directly from the vac line, or do you have to install a computer module like the DELFIs? I don't know if the extra expense is worth it. You looking to sell your Autometer gauge?
LGT Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Drift Monkey
LGT.org resident p0st wh0r3

Send a message via AIM to Drift Monkey

I still have yet to do anything about a boost/egt gauge....anyone make a premade bezel for the center cubby yet?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
coxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster
I like the VEI so much better.
+1 The VEI is a real nice lookin gauge. I love mine
coxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
Drift Monkey

I am thinkin' about the VEI gauges....do they have the EGT out yet Jedi?

Last edited by Drift Monkey; 04-07-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #11
Drift Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster
My back, however is not thanking me from all the time I spent bent over under the hood (waiting for DM's jokes here ).
.com double take: Bent over under the hood eh? You left yourself WIDE OPEN for that one!

Install looks decent although you are damn right about the *cringe*part! Good god you have some balls!
Nice work as always Jim.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
jedimaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGT Chris
I purchased the AVO dash pod and some cheap-ass DELFI replica that is too hard to read, especially with polorized sunglasses. Is your VEI still mechanically driven directly from the vac line, or do you have to install a computer module like the DELFIs? I don't know if the extra expense is worth it. You looking to sell your Autometer gauge?
It's mechanical via vaccuum line. I'm gonna hang onto the Autometer.