First time subaru owner....Would like some advice. - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Owner's Lounge > New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Adam8622

Default First time subaru owner....Would like some advice.

Hey everyone, Im Adam. Bought a used 2012 Legacy GT a few days ago. Always had VW's as cars and F-150s as trucks. I must say, in the 100ish miles I have driven in the Legacy, I am quite impressed. Thought I would hate the MPG gauge but seeing it def keeps my foot out of it. Looking on feedback about a few things....

1) In regard to the air filter, going with a K&N (or similar) or buying OEM from dealer?

2) I really dont like how a lot of info is not available to me from the car. I would really like to know the volts, water temp, boost. Wouldnt mind knowing oil pressure & oil temp also. I really dont want to add gauges like autometer or like to the car if I can help it. Would really like to keep it stock. Does anyone have an Edge Insight or similar OBD2 scan gauge? If so, does it pick up the info I would like from the car or no go?

3) After some research I think I am going to stick with the blue subaru oil filters. I normally run Mobil1 full syn 5w-30 in the F150 and see the subaru takes the same. Should I buy the subaru 5w-30 full syn from dealer or ok using the Mobil1. I DO NOT plan on beating the car what so ever if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Adam
Adam8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Dookie
;-0

Welcome.

No need for a K&N filter, it's been proven that there is no power gain over OEM filter. Only when you reach 300whp +.

Mobile 1 is not the best choice for these cars, Blackstone labs have determine that Shell Rotella T6 is the best oil to use. Mobile 1 has a lower zinc content which these motors require more of, and we have seen more turbo damages due to it.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Adam8622

Thanks for the info! I picked up an OEM air filter today. I was very torn between the subaru 5w30 full syn vs the t6. I ended up picking up the t6 since, as you stated, seems to be whats best for the engine via the oil samples.
Adam8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
LikeMike

T6 is getting popular here either, you can't go wrong with them.

2003 Subaru Impreza (Turbo) Sold
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
colekayley

If you plan to mod, pick a street or off-road route first. That will help focus on your mods.

Exhaust is nice but the CVT makes it a little harder to enjoy. After a year of ownership I would prefer having stock because the high revving nature of the CVT makes it a little ricey.

LED "Fangs" give them a lot of character.

LED Fogs are available too.

LED turn signals front and back help modernize the look a lot.

Mud flaps are a neat look.

Last edited by colekayley; 07-06-2021 at 02:16 AM.
colekayley is offline   Reply With Quote