Wanting to go aggressive - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Wheels & Tires

Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
kw521

Default Wanting to go aggressive

So I've been wheel shopping around a searching the forum and researching on the net. I am wanting to get a pretty aggressive fitment on my LGT with a very nice flush look. I was debating on 17s or 18s and with the roads out here in Spokane being rough and crappy(studded tires) I decided to go with 17s. With that being said I was looking at some 17x9 bronze Rota Torque wheels for my car. I was curious if this would give me that "flush" look I desire. Would I have to get the fenders rolled at all? As of now the car is dropped about an inch. Inputs please?
kw521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
TSi+WRX

^ A lot of that will depend on the offset (which will also impact/is impacted by brake-caliper choice, too) of the rims, as well as the tires you're wanting to run.

You'll also need to consider whether the inboard side will rub or be incompatible with your suspension setup (stock or otherwise).

There's a very detailed fitment guide on the .com "Wheels and Tires" section, and that would be a great place to start.

It's a very complicated question!

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
kw521

well dang my complicated question lol. Do you think a tire place would know anything about an aggressive set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
brilliant sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw521
well dang my complicated question lol. Do you think a tire place would know anything about an aggressive set up?
They better! That's what they specialize in, lol.
I just purchased some 18x8 Konig's from Town Fair as a package deal. They were even more helpful than I expected. I spent over an hour there, dispersed within two days, and I had some choices in mind. The offset was often times the problem with some of the wheels I was first looking at. Discontinuation didn't help of other wheels I looked at, either.
The people at the front desk of Town Fair called up the headquarter's of the wheel dept, and they calculated to see if the wheel that I was looking at would be a good match. Again, great help for my picky a*s! Pumped to see how the wheels work out. Good luck!
brilliant sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
kw521

sounds like i will have to talk to a tire place here and ask them some questions about all this.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
kagenmateer

An aggressive setup is very hard to accomplish. Rubbing is the main issue. I spent countless hours deciding I wasn't going to bother being "hella flush". Are you lowered? And if so, coils or springs?

And to have a good flush look, plan on at least some minor fender rolling.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant sleeper
They better! That's what they specialize in, lol.
I just purchased some 18x8 Konig's from Town Fair as a package deal. They were even more helpful than I expected. I spent over an hour there, dispersed within two days, and I had some choices in mind. The offset was often times the problem with some of the wheels I was first looking at. Discontinuation didn't help of other wheels I looked at, either.
The people at the front desk of Town Fair called up the headquarter's of the wheel dept, and they calculated to see if the wheel that I was looking at would be a good match. Again, great help for my picky a*s! Pumped to see how the wheels work out. Good luck!
^ Exactly - a good place, should.

But you'll have to find a good place like that, kw521. If the place you visit doesn't seem like they're willing to put in the work or are obviously not knowledgeable enough, then bail.

Typically, if you're going after something like this, you'll either have to be very knowledgeable, or, alternatively, you'll have to be willing to take some risks - the final possibility would be, of course, if you wanted to simply duplicate someone else's setup, but if that's the case, be sure you have *all* of the specs, and duplicate *exactly* (i.e. exact suspension setup, exact brake setup, exact same wheels and tires, etc.). Like kagenmateer said, it ain't easy.

7th Subaru Family
Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
brilliant sleeper

[quote=Tsi+WRX Typically, if you're going after something like this, you'll either have to be very knowledgeable, or, alternatively, you'll have to be willing to take some risks - the final possibility would be, of course, if you wanted to simply duplicate someone else's setup, but if that's the case, be sure you have *all* of the specs, and duplicate *exactly* (i.e. exact suspension setup, exact brake setup, exact same wheels and tires, etc.). Like kagenmateersaid, it ain't easy.[/quote] It would be well worth the effort, as long as this is what you really want to achieve. The reward would be much sweeter!
brilliant sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
NALegacy

Send a message via AIM to NALegacy

I can tell you that an "aggressive" fitment will be a lot easier to accomplish if you are willing to compromise on tires and their usefulness. If you are willing to run a super stretched tire, the aggressive look is possible with a minimum of fender rolling/pulling and a set of coilovers. This will make things MUCH easier. Now, if you are of the thought process that a wide rim should have a wide tire on it, aggressive takes on a new meaning. Wider tires to go along with your wider rims will require more inboard AND outboard clearance.

If you decide to run a higher offset wheel like the Work Emotion CR Kai in 17x9 +44, you might have inboard rubbing issues. If you run a lower offset like the Rota DPT in 17x9 +42, it would be a significant difference, but you will definitely have to run more than desirable camber all around to keep the wheels/tires within the fender wells.

Your best bet? Find a local WRX owner who has an aggressive fitment wheel/tire combo that you think you might want to run, and see how it fits on your car. With a hands-on knowledge of how everything sits, you can determine if you want a lower or higher offset, run more or less tire, etc.
NALegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
TSi+WRX

^ Very good thoughts!

Add to that list the willingness (and ability) to change to a coil-over setup, too, for more inboard clearance.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
john

Send a message via AIM to john

Just say no to stretching tires. Please.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
scooby05lgt

if your looking for the "hella flush" look in a 17" rim its gonna be tough! 18's would be much easier... go with something like a +35 offset, that will set the rim flush with the fender line.. to get the fender tucked up to the tire or rim you will need a set of coilovers due to the fact that you cant get springs any lower than a 1.5in drop... coilovers and a low numbered offset and your set! the stretched or unstretched is up to you... as far as rubbing issues go rolled fenders and big sway bars will cure that...for the most part
Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
scooby05lgt

4066760674_5d96777ce3_o.jpg

this^ is sexy!!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
kw521

yes that is quite sexy! You got that off nasioc didnt you?! Ya im looking around still for wheels and sizes....all the ones i really like though are 5x114.3 damn our bolt pattern!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
scooby05lgt

yepp sure did! im planning on going with a set of 18x8.5 Rota Gforce with a +35 offset and a set of coilovers.. not sure on the color tho... Gold graphite, or anodized blue
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
kagenmateer

I'd like to mention the loss of performance with going "aggressive". Heavier, larger wheels with heavier, larger tires can take its toll. Another reason I decided against an aggressive fitment was my desire to remain competitive in AutoX.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #17
TSi+WRX

^ That's a big toll indeed.

I'm on a set of heavier 18s - Prodrive PFF7s, which I bought for their proven durability. I elected to run the tire size I do partially because I wanted to keep carcass weight in control.

At "Stage II," there's just not that much extra power to spare.

7th Subaru Family
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
NALegacy

Send a message via AIM to NALegacy

That's why you get big, light wheels
18x8.5 and 17.5lbs beeches!
NALegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #19
TSi+WRX

^ Yeah, but here in the great winter-time-road-treatment areas, "track rims" tend to truly need to be reserved for the track.

7th Subaru Family