WTB AEM CAI for a 2005 LGT (Auto) - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Marketplace > Private Wanted Classifieds

Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
blk2.5GT

Default WTB AEM CAI for a 2005 LGT (Auto)

I'm looking for a AEM cold air intke for my 05' LGT with an auto tranny. Product must be in "new" or "like new" condidtion. I'm not really looking for a certain color, so let me know what you have! Thanks.

-Robert
blk2.5GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
kagenmateer

Where were you when I couldn't give mine away 6 months ago? I'm exaggerating, but I seriously couldn't find a buyer for a long time.

And remember that the factory airbox on our cars is actually quite good until you're well into stage3, so you probably have better things you could spend your money on.

This is why I was selling mine. I took it out and put the factory box back in because it's better for my Cobb map.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
blk2.5GT

Yea, this place by me that is a Cobb Pro Tuner said that the car would run rich and would have to be tuned. They are also the sameones that said to ditch the STP intake and put on a AEM CAI...probably so they could get my money for a tune huh? What should I focus on? Start with a tranny cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk2.5GT
They are also the sameones that said to ditch the STP intake and put on a AEM CAI...probably so they could get my money for a tune huh?
Try searching up the SPT short-ram intake either here or on LGT.com - and you'll see why your tuner is saying that you should ditch the SPT.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
john

Send a message via AIM to john

^^ What he said.

Stick with the OEM intake - it flows more than enough air for a stage 2+ setup, and pulls in cooler air than a "CAI" due to the snorkle location. Swap in a panel filter and you'll be good to go.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
kagenmateer

They're now saying not to even do a different filter. New Cobb literature says to use the OEM filter now too.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
TSi+WRX

^ Cobb has always played on the safer side of things, regarding their official "by-Hoyle" printed words. However, there's indeed some strong evidence in the hobbyist community that datalogs do show a potential of some vehicles to go +/- a half-point or so with fueling, just based on dropping in an aftermarket panel filter.

Personally, while I think that the use of an aftermarket panel filter plus/minus pulling the factory intake resonator/silencer *should* be OK, the truth of the matter is that our vehicles are all different from one-another's. Some ride on this side of the production tolerance spectrum, others, the other - while some truly straddle the fence right at the line.

What this means is that while the majority of vehicles will likely be just fine - or even see one set of behavior - with any particular or particular set of modifications, there *_WILL_* be those few vehicles in which the same will run their engines more to the ragged edge of sustainable tolerances, and of that subset, it is thus only logical that a certain percentage again *_WILL_* actually see problems.

What we know today is that while a panel filter and pulling the intake resonator/silencer will alter airflow characteristics, it is, by the tales of the vast majority, a relatively "safe" thing to do.

At the same time, we know that there are some aftermarket intakes which offer more stable characteristics than others.

We also know that in order to gain power, we run our air-fuel mixtures tighter towards that more dangerous edge.

So the question then becomes: how close do you want to get?

We all know that the intake is one of the most studied and known-to-be-potentially problematic areas in these late-model force-induced Subarus. The BL/BP is known to be an example which fits that mold.

So, blk2.5GT, the question then becomes that if you know all these potential risk factors and you choose to do what you do, then when your vehicle suffers a problem, you will have no-one to blame but yourself.

The SPT SRI for the BL/BP has been known to be less-than-optimal.

Will it destructo your car, outright? Maybe it will, maybe it won't - but the chances increase with use of an OTS Cobb map for which they have specifically and repeatedly said not to use with *any* intake tract changes, and for which, even more specifically, Cobb has come close to have gone to war with Subaru over.

The history is all out there. It's registered here on .org. It's on LGT.com. It's even on NASIOC. I'd well wager, actually, that if you just start with what's available here, it'll link you out to .com in short order, and will then also cross-over with outlinks to NASIOC from there. It will all go to prove the same: that even to this very day, only the claims of less-than-optimal performance have any kind of quantitative support/proof, and that counterclaims by other parties is simply on the order of "well, if Subaru warranties the component, then it must be OK" - without quantitative support whatsoever.

If you're using the SPT SRI with your Cobb OTS mapping, now, I'd *immediately* stop doing so. Change to your factory airbox assembly at-once, and then reset your ECU.

If you are insistent on using the SPT SRI, then at the very least, use it with the heat-shield attachment, *_and_* pursue a proper custom-tune (be it a live or remote/"e-" dyno or road-tune) to account for this modification, and then datalog your vehicle thoroughly to insure MAF behavior, thereafter.

If you just want to have an intake on the car, then look to either the Cobb SF Intake or the K&N Typhoon if you're interested in the "Short Ram" type or, alternatively, as you've started here, look for the AEM unit for a true "Cold-Air."

7th Subaru Family
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
TSi+WRX

This was one of the most recent threads in which the SPT SRI for the BL/BP was again revisited/debated:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=SPT

[ Aside: note the in-link to another .com thread, on post number 47, page 4, which cites the half-point difference in fueling with just a panel-filter change. ]

Track the issue with logic and reason.

That will lead you to the true answer.

----

Oh, and for those of us who admired (I was among this crowd, actually) the SPT cat-back for the BL/BP.....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rs-148104.html

I'm very, very disappointed.....

7th Subaru Family
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
john

Send a message via AIM to john

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenmateer
They're now saying not to even do a different filter. New Cobb literature says to use the OEM filter now too.
This makes me think that even the conservative OTS maps caused someone's engine to grenade.

*sigh*

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
TSi+WRX

^ It's possible - one never knows.

Frankly, as early as 2004-5, "e-/remote" Open-Source tuners had already advised people that their tunes are specific for intake tracts that saw absolutely *no* modification whatsoever: and that includes "small" things like the panel filter and the resonator/silencer.

At the same time, Cobb's *official* wording on intake (and exhaust) tract modifications per their OTS maps have steadily become more and more strict (despite "unofficial" cross-chatter from their staff, until just earlier this year, on the Forums as well as via PMs and voice conversations). Those of us who've been in the BL/BP community since '04/'05 can well remember such history.

Given the increasing understanding of our fellow hobbyists/enthusiasts - including the data that they've presented - as well as the persistent cautions from our professional/semi-professional tuner community, I truly think that this is an area where, to be completely safe, one must exercise utmost caution.

Furthermore, I believe that this is an area which every new member to our community should well-understand, before going ahead with modifications.

Will an otherwise completely stock vehicle pop its engine with use of an aftermarket intake or with other intake-tract modifications? Probably not. But at the same time, you *will* be taking those parameters closer to the edges of the safety margin.

Will something bad happen if you pair an aftermarket intake with other hardware or ECU modifications?

^ That would be something that I would not want to bet my own money on.

Instead, I would pursue at least proper datalogging of the appropriate parameters to determine fueling safety - and undertake pursuit of proper tuning to rectify any deficiencies in this area, if-necessary.

7th Subaru Family
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
kagenmateer

Phew! Almost got an SPT when I first bought the car.

Thx for the input, yet again, TSi!!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
TSi+WRX

^ No need to thank me - just glad to be of-service.

Really, all I'm good for is for recall....I've been here long enough that I can both remember how things first started, as well as serve as a guide as to how things developed over time.

The SPT SRI for the BL/BP was a huge disappointment for a lot of us.

7th Subaru Family
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
myfastwrex

Default barely used aem cold air intake

I am selling an AEM Cold Air Intake with the Dryflow Air Filter. The Dryflow Air Filter is durable and easy to clean (doesn’t require oil). CAI came off my 2005 Legacy GT and is in excellent condition (like new), only used for a couple of months. I sold the car so don’t need it anymore. Adds great power and efficiency

Specs for the intake:

21-475P Product Specifications

Product Style: AEM Cold Air Intake System
Color: Polished
Replacement Filter: 21-202DK
Street Legal In All States: Yes
Weight: 7.2 lb (3.3 kg)

I’m asking $250 obo. if you are interested, email me at phillykaooo@gmail.com
myfastwrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
myfastwrex

Default barely used aem cold air intake

i can do 230 shipped for you if you want. my aem cai is barely used, used for only a couple of weeks before i sold the car. plus it has dry flow filter which is easy to clean and you don't need oil to clean it. awesome power and sound
myfastwrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
kagenmateer

First site I went to was $235 plus $15 shipping. So $250 shipped brand new. I sold mine for $150. Just sayin'

http://www.gripmotorsports.com/pi~pn...gacy-9419.html
Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
blk2.5GT

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa...little high. Hope you get your asking price though!