TEIN lowering springs on 06 Legacy 2.5i LTD - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Suspension, Handling, & Stiffening

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
TonyMont

Default TEIN lowering springs on 06 Legacy 2.5i LTD

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if i were to purchase the TEIN lowering springs for my 06 Legacy LTD if it would fit and work out?

Currently im looking at a 0.9 inch drop both front and rear. The site im looking to purchase from does say its for the GT model but im wondering if it'll work for mine?

Any help or suggestions on other brands would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
TonyMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Islander

If you're still interested, I can find out if the same strut is listed for the two vehicles, which should be a pretty solid indicator of compatibility.

I am considering these springs for my GT so I'm interested in how they ride for you.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
TonyMont

Yes sir i am still interested in them and if you could find that out for me i'd really appreciate it! I think the springs should lower mine just enough to give it the look i want and the ride should be a little bit better as well. I was going to get struts as well but i'm pretty confident that the legacy suspension will hold up just fine!!

-Thanks
TonyMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Islander

Well, the listings I have for KYB struts through WorldPac are the same for the GT and the 2.5i for most years of the Legacy through '09. Strangely the '06 shows a different strut from them for 06 but not 07 or 08 for the GT to the 2.5i. This could simply be the bracketry on the side of the strut. Your 2.5i is the same strut as the 07 and 08.

I think it's a pretty safe bet they are going to fit in the struts. That said, different springs are often found even between manual and automatic and turbo and non-turbo or wagon and sedan because of the weight difference. I would think that a ride height difference would be less noticeable on a stiffer, lower spring than on an OEM spring, especially simply between auto/standard or turbo/na.

My best advice would be that yes, they will almost certainly fit into the struts just fine, but they may or may not offer the advertised ride height. Obviously, a call or email to the manufacturer may help too.

Welcome to the world of aftermarket parts! Good luck and let us know if you go through with it how it works out.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
subiefunk

Hey Guys I recently purchased Tein lowering springs for My 05 LGT wagon I also have Rallitech F&R sway bars that Ive yet to install. this job looks pretty straight forward ( Iv'e watched a few You tube videos on this install). Is there any details or areas that I need to watch out for. I'm pretty close to working up enough nerve to attack it. also as a side note, I own a 2000 Outback that has H&R lowering springs and Rallitech swaybars that I had installed at a nearby shop , I Love the way it drives but this time I want to do the install Myself. any pointers that You can give would be appreciated.
subiefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
TSi+WRX

Inspect the rear sway bar mounts before you tackle the task. If they're broken or outright just not there anymore, you may need to have this area addressed before you can proceed.

If they're fine, go ahead and purchase a set of upgrades to reinforce this area before you install the rear bar, as even the factory bar has been known to exert enough stress to damage or completely break off this weak-point in the car.

If they are damaged but still remain attached to the chassis, like one of mine was when I finally got to it (I was in the process of upgrading sways, too - it was just a S&G kinda project, since I had the time and some spare cash - I had my '05 since May of '05, and I'm really a very sedate driver, so you can imagine my shock to find that my driver side mount was torn, half-way through! what they say online is true, that even with normal daily driving, you can destroy those mounts), you may still be able to salvage the mount when you install the reinforcement(s) - just know that you'll be facing an uphill battle. My undamaged side took, literally, 10 minutes to install a set of Perrin *and* AVO reinforcements and bolt on my new bar (using Energy Suspension's brackets and bushings)...but the damaged side took nearly two hours to muscle in.

You also might as well upgrade the end-links, too, at this juncture, since the components need to come off, anyway, and since the expense is relatively small.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family

Last edited by TSi+WRX; 08-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Dookie
;-0

My .02 cents. Loosen up the top shaft nut first on the shock (strut), but don't loosen it too much since you'll be taking the strut off. This will make it easier to remove AFTER you attach the spring compressors to the spring. Mark the top hat facing out to remember which way to reinstall to the top mounts.

Sway bars are straight forward and follow TSI's advice.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
subiefunk

Thanks for the advice Guys, I still intend to do this project I just haven't had a clear enough schedule on a weekend to get started. I'm hoping i can get it done in at the most 2 days. I'm still waiting on the Agency power rear links that i ordered a week ago. So far the parts I've collected for this project are Tein S springs, Rallitech sway bars, Cobb rear mount reinforcements ,and Agency power front links (the rear links are on there way)
I can't wait to drive the LGT with this new set up , the outback drives great with a similar set up (H&R springs) but the LGT has so much more power that it should be a blast. I'll keep You posted on My progress when I get started and I'll post some photos also.
subiefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Dookie
;-0

Sweet, good luck with your install.

It shouldn't take you more than a day to install everything. Once you do the first spring swap, the others will be fairly easy, just a little time consuming when compressing the springs.

Swaybars are a simple unbolt and bolt on.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote