whistling noise in 3rd gear - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Drivetrain

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
73ch13

Default whistling noise in 3rd gear

Hey all... With the frigid temps we got in the north east, my 08 legacy 2.5i AT has begun making a high pitched whistling noise. It usually happens the first time I drive it. I'll usually run the car for about 5-10 mins before driving to warm it up. As I head down the road to work, as it goes through the gears, in 3rd it'll start whining/whistling. It never does it while idling, no matter how high the engine is revved. I've put it in manual mode and if I rev high on 2nd Going into 3rd, I'll hear it and then all through 3rd and sometimes into 4th. Usually this occurs between 30 and 50 mph. Beyond that, either I can't hear it or it subsides. I can't tell. I've put the car in neutral when i hear the noise and revved the engine, it had no effect at all. The car has 108k miles on it and just had the timing belt replaced at 106k. The nose was there before the belts were changed. Tranny fluid is healthy, replaced at 95k miles. Dealership mechanic put it up on a rack and didn't see anything obvious - drive shafts look good, wheels have no play, no loss of power, power steering is fine. He heard the noise but can't pin point it. So I'm turning to y'all. Anyone have any ideas? Help?
73ch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #2

whistling noise can be a small boost leak,
might not be enough to loose power, but enough to make noise

i would have a quick check on all the intercooler pipes and see if they are on snug

and it makes sense that it dosent whistle when your not driving as there would be no boost even though the engine is reving

but im no expert
15964599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
73ch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15964599 View Post
whistling noise can be a small boost leak,
might not be enough to loose power, but enough to make noise

i would have a quick check on all the intercooler pipes and see if they are on snug

and it makes sense that it dosent whistle when your not driving as there would be no boost even though the engine is reving

but im no expert
Ahhh... Thanks for the reply, I guess I should've mentioned that it's not a GT, it's the base 2.5i.
73ch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

I see

we have had a lot of Subaru in the family, non ever non turbo

my dads GT, made a whistling sound during hard acceleration a few days before the engine blew, your car is still driving so i think your safe

and my cousins wrx made a whistling sound from the from under the car because the oil sump on the gearbox was dented in and restricting flow, took him ages to track it down,
10 mins with a hammer and he was all good,

i doubt that helps you, but it cant hurt to look
15964599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Tiedemann22

Ive also been noticing a whistling noise in my 05 legacy 2.5se.

The only difference is that mine starts whistling upon engine start up, and it doesn't stop until it gets shut down.

I am totally in the dark about this.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

I just want you to know you aren't alone. lol
Tiedemann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #6
colekayley

If your transmission is whining while in gear, it could be normal, or it could be a sign of a deeper underlying problem. Your transmission is a critical part of your car and if it breaks down, you won’t be going anywhere. First inspect the transmission, including the level of transmission fluid. However, it will be necessary to test drive the car to verify the sound and pinpoint its source. Call your mechanic who will inspect and troubleshoot other areas of the vehicle to eliminate other possibilities.

Last edited by colekayley; 07-06-2021 at 01:16 AM.
colekayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
munich15

Were you able to fix it?
munich15 is offline   Reply With Quote