Suspension Bushings - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Technical > Suspension, Handling, & Stiffening

Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Dookie
;-0

Default Suspension Bushings

Has anyone upgraded their LCA and steering rack bushings to Poly bushings?

Looks like I'll be doing this soon since my stock LCA bushings are almost toast, creating alot of vibrations under braking and rough roads. After researching a few threads on .com it seem to fix alot of these issues with the steering and handling of the car.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Dookie
;-0

Just order Whiteline LCA and steering rack bushings. Hopefully that will fix my issues under braking.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
kagenmateer

subscribed for feedback
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Dookie
;-0

Expecting to receive them next Tuesday and install same night. Review and walkthrough to follow.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
kagenmateer

Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Dookie
;-0

Installed the Steering rack bushings last night.

Quick review:
Install takes up to 2 hrs. Fairly easy to do, just time consuming taking off the splash guard and undercarriage brace (10 bolts). There's 7 bolts to remove and lower the steering rack, once removed the steer rack will be able to be pulled down about 2". Just enough room to remove the old bushing and install the new ones.
Whiteline comes with the bushing removal tool which works like a charm. Install of the new bushings was simple and fit perfectly, no issues at all.

Test drive:
Very noticable right off the start, steering is more responsive and felt firmer. There was no noticable difference in steering wheel feel, such as vibration, very smooth.

+1 on this upgrade.

Had to order new LCA rear bushing since I notice that they are damaged. Have to wait a few more days before the install of the LCA bushings.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
kagenmateer

I like what you're doing here.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
m sprank

I have all the above mentioned bushings installed. Plus many more. There are tricks to the rack install to make it go faster.

For the LCA bushings you will need a press. My 20 ton did the trick.
m sprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Dookie
;-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by m sprank
I have all the above mentioned bushings installed. Plus many more. There are tricks to the rack install to make it go faster.

This was my first time removing the steering rack, so I took my time to do it right. If there's a faster way, do tell, just in case I have get back in there.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Dookie
;-0

Quote:
Agreed. Took my LCAs off and took them to a local shop, they pressed out the old ones (front & rear) and pressed in the new Rear LCA bushings for $35. The front ones can be done by hand & vise (Whiteline LCA bushings). Bushing can be pressed by hand, and the metal sleeve by a vise to get it all the way through.

Review:
After installing the new bushings, Whiteline front LCA and OEM rear LCA bushings, the handling is firmer and more responsive. Steering is crisp with great feed back. It's like driving a new car again.

+1 on this upgrade if you have worn out bushings.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Dookie
;-0

Did the shifter lever bushing the other day, and once again another nice upgrade. Shifting is firmer and precise, no more mushy feelings between shifts. Hopefully this will help control my grinding of 2nd gear....

FYI - The bushing I bought is made by "Energy Suspension", which comes as a soild one piece. I had to cut it in half, which was not a big deal, to be installed. Pressed on by hand and fit like a glove.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
ScoobyDoobie

Just ordered AVO LCA bushings F/R. Can't wait to replace my torn stock bushings in the spring time.
ScoobyDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
m sprank

Scooby, will forward tracking on those bushings.

Sometimes I have to cut the darn metal sleeve from the front LCA bushing out. I have had issues getting it to press out of the aluminum SpecB arms. The aluminum arms are always more difficult as you have to be extra careful.

For the rack. Remove the collar on the passenger side, remove the brace and two blots holding the rack. release the pinch bolt on the knuckle. Now use your weight (if you have to) and drop the rack a few inches. You should see the splines at the pinch bolt "grow". You can get about an extra inch of play this way. Now go for it. No problem getting your nut on top to draw the bushing down and out. Plus plenty of room to insert the new bushing half from above.

Never seen an aftermarket shifter bushing come in 1 piece. OEM is 1 piece and I cuss it every time I have to pull it. I usually use Kartboy for that bushing. but I have also used AVO and Rallitek. They were all two piece.
m sprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Dookie
;-0

Quote:
For the rack. Remove the collar on the passenger side, remove the brace and two blots holding the rack. release the pinch bolt on the knuckle. Now use your weight (if you have to) and drop the rack a few inches. You should see the splines at the pinch bolt "grow". You can get about an extra inch of play this way. Now go for it. No problem getting your nut on top to draw the bushing down and out. Plus plenty of room to insert the new bushing half from above.

Never seen an aftermarket shifter bushing come in 1 piece. OEM is 1 piece and I cuss it every time I have to pull it. I usually use Kartboy for that bushing. but I have also used AVO and Rallitek. They were all two piece.
Cool, thanks for the tip on the rack.

The shifter bushing could have been pressed on, but I just didn't want to take the chance of damaging the bushing itself, since both sides have a lip. A simple thin blade hacksaw worked great to cut it in half. I took pics, just been to lazy to up load.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
ScoobyDoobie

Quote:
Scooby, will forward tracking on those bushings.
Sounds good, thanks.
ScoobyDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Dookie
;-0

Finally posted Pics.........WHOOT!!

LCA Before...

After...

Shifter Bushings - Black (OEM) - Red (Polyurathane)