Long awaited (I'm sure..lol) pics of the SpecB and STI - Page 2 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Legacy Owner's Lounge > Members' Journals

Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
urabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant sleeper
In the pic of your son between the cars is interesting to me. The Subie's look like protective guard dogs that are not too fond of strangers(other cars and such) near him.
2 me it looks like the complete oposite.

Looks like he is about 2 get smashed in between 2 cars and is calling for subiechick 2 come save him. RUN SON RUN!
urabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieChik

2. The fogs have laminx yellow tint on the lenses. I really like the look of bright HIDs and yellow fogs at night so that is why I got it. I'm thinking about getting some yellow bulbs too though cause it isn't yellow enough for me at night.....
FWIW, if your eyes "take better" to yellow/amber/straw/"firelight," then by all means, go with the yellow. It'll help with subjective comfort in foul weather - just remember that any perceived "better vision" is totally subjective, and while it'll make you feel more comfortable and confident, objectively, there is absolutely no improvement in actual vision, so be sure to tone-back your driving accordingly.

Now, as for how to achieve the yellow.

Like you're doing, with the yellow film, is one way - and yes, you can further shift things to the yellow end by using a yellow bulb on top (er...underneath? ) it...but you'll lose absolute "lumen-on-road."

To an extent, you can recover it with higher-wattage (standard incandescent halogen) bulbs or if you went with a 3000K color-temperature HID setup, but remember a few critical things:

(1) At about 80-85W, the standard halogen-incandescent will start to lose some brightness from our insufficient wiring - while it won't quite be dangerous, it's certainly starting to border on it, so if you can, upgrade the wiring. Lighting guru outahere on LGT.com tracked down where the factory wiring should be beefed-up, and it will require removal of the bumper skin, but it's worth it, IMveryHO; especially if you want to go up to 100W capsules.

(2) The 35W HID kits (@3000K color-temperature, which is "yellow-amber") will throw at least as much light as will an 80-85W halogen-incandescent setup. A lot of the light will be wasted, though, as our factory optics there just aren't optimized to harness that light, but it's an easy way to bypass the entire heat/wiring concern. It'll require that you modify the dust-cap...which, on the '05-'07 models that use the H3 setup, will be an extensive and destructive modification, as the factory caps are themselves used as a part of the wiring connectors for the stock H3 capsules' pigtails, so be sure to purchase an extra set of factory caps, if that's your desire.

(3) HEAT (aside from the wiring concern in #1). With the '05-'07 fog assembly, we've got a metal reflector bowl. On .com, it's been documented that people have used H3-capsule 100W halogen-incandescents and 55W HIDs without issue. On the '08-'09, this remains an unknown.

A LaminX or other such overlay may further exacerbate the heat issue (regardless of MY), with the additional risk of the film melting onto the lens or onto the back of the foglight surrounds.

Now, with the heat concern, there's another side to the equation, a beneficial side.

Our fogs are stationed very low. If your LGT is riding on suspension modifications that drop it by even an inch towards the ground, and you happen to live in an area that can see significant snowfall, such obstructions could easily render your setup useless, if it fails to melt the snow/slush/ice that quickly accumulates there under such conditions.

That's actually one big reason I switched back from a 35W 3000K H3 HID setup to a conventional halogen-incandescent, at 85W - the former didn't generate enough heat to melt snow. [The other reason was that the burn-in time for the 3000K HID was simply too long. When I want to use my fogs, I want to use them "now." I can't be bothered with that initial turn-on low-intensity green-to-yellow transition.]

Now, I realize that some of you who do not live in snow-bound areas are probably thinking that's a load of , but I assure you, it's not. Look at Audi's attention to detail with their LED lighting - not the decorative DRLs, but rather, their new LED headlamp arrays. They specifically use fans to draw heat away from the stars, and in doing so, duct that hot air onto the overlens of the headlamp unit, to defrost it, as LEDs do not generate sufficient forward-heat to effect such. And if you still don't believe that, look up this past winter's statistics on traffic-signal related auto accidents and fatalities. The extreme cold and icing in many areas gave rise to problems with LED-based traffic signals, which, again, did not generate enough forward heat to self-defrost.

For anyone who like to use their fogs for wintertime lane and curb delineation, it's absolutely critical to generate heat down there.

---

For those of you with '08-'09s, your fogs should be 9006-fitment.

You can get noticeable increases in lighting capability by using the HIR1 "hi-lo" mod. With this modification, you also don't have to worry about heat, as it's only an increase to a 65W unit. To-date, there's no yellow-tinted capsules of HIR1 format, so you'll need to use a film overlay on the lens, if you want it in that color.

And speaking of HIRs.

Regardless of your MY, if you haven't already, I *highly* recommend biting the bullet on the extra dollars and fitting your high-beam with HIRs.

Even with a 55W 4500K H7 plug-and-play HID or an OEM-grade full-retrofit, the HIRs are still an excellent compliment to the system that will have you amazed at how well they throw, and their instant-on nature, in being conventional halogen-incandescents, also make them a wonderful safety companion.

Me: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited
Wifey: '16 WRX Premium CVT
7th Subaru Family

Last edited by TSi+WRX; 05-11-2010 at 03:30 PM.
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
urabus

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz (nice post, but dang)

Last edited by urabus; 05-11-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
TSi+WRX

^

I go overboard sometimes. "Diarrhea at the keyboard," my wife calls it.

That's what happens when you're sitting on the sofa, keeping the 4 year-old company while she watches the same Elmo DVD for the 50th billion time.

That, and it's one of my side-hobbies: lights.

7th Subaru Family
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
urabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
^

I go overboard sometimes. "Diarrhea at the keyboard," my wife calls it.

That's what happens when you're sitting on the sofa, keeping the 4 year-old company while she watches the same Elmo DVD for the 50th billion time.

That, and it's one of my side-hobbies: lights.
something tells me you grow marijuana =)

mr "my hobby is lights " lol
Old 05-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
SubieChik
LXRY STI

You guys are too funny! Allen I don't have the yellow fogs for my vision.....how do I explain this.....I like the way it looks as if I drove by and saw it on someone else's car. Does that sound right?? It looks cool to me
SubieChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
SubieChik
LXRY STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
2 me it looks like the complete oposite.

Looks like he is about 2 get smashed in between 2 cars and is calling for subiechick 2 come save him. RUN SON RUN!
I was thinking that too
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
urabus

Quote:
You guys are too funny! Allen I don't have the yellow fogs for my vision.....how do I explain this.....I like the way it looks as if I drove by and saw it on someone else's car. Does that sound right?? It looks cool to me

I got you from the start subbie chick, i think tsi has been smoking to much of his "hobbie"
Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #29
TSi+WRX

Quote:
^ Ah, then in that case, go "double yellow!" I'd bet that a yellow 55W H3 paired with yellow film would look good, offsetting the contrast with your 6000K HID.

Quote:

To tell the truth, I've got access to stuff that's much better than weed - but alas, I'm as straight-arrow as they come.

7th Subaru Family
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
brilliant sleeper

To tell the truth, I've got access to stuff that's much better than weed - but alas, I'm as straight-arrow as they come. [/quote] mmmmmhmmm sure you are, "Mr. Lights." Fireworks must be an epic adventure.
brilliant sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #31
urabus

Quote:
To tell the truth, I've got access to stuff that's much better than weed - but alas, I'm as straight-arrow as they come.
mmmmmhmmm sure you are, "Mr. Lights." Fireworks must be an epic adventure. [/quote]

+1
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #32
kagenmateer

Quote:

...and good job SubieChick, well done!
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #33
TSi+WRX

Quote:
Fireworks must be an epic adventure.

My Chinese roots should show through!

7th Subaru Family
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #34
SubieChik
LXRY STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenmateer

...and good job SubieChick, well done!
thank u
Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
urabus

SUBIE CHICK!!!!

Did you go 2 the track last night as planned?

if so... tell me about it
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
SubieChik
LXRY STI

No I was in the ER thursday morning and have been taking it easy for the last couple days. I leave for the desert the begining of July and I am definitely planning on going before I leave so...

How far are you from the track we should meet up when I do go. Then you can run and make me feel bad...lol
Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #37
urabus

Quote:
No I was in the ER thursday morning and have been taking it easy for the last couple days. I leave for the desert the begining of July and I am definitely planning on going before I leave so...

How far are you from the track we should meet up when I do go. Then you can run and make me feel bad...lol

OMFG WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!! Hope you are ok.

Um depends witch track your talking about.

The only track ive gone 2 is this... http://richmonddragway.com/ver9/
Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #38
SubieChik
LXRY STI

Yea I'm fine...thanks Felt like I was dying...turns out it was just a viral infection...lol

Thats the one I'm talking about. I heard it is rough road though....lol. VMP is nicer but it is usually packed.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #39
urabus

Quote:
Yea I'm fine...thanks Felt like I was dying...turns out it was just a viral infection...lol

Thats the one I'm talking about. I heard it is rough road though....lol. VMP is nicer but it is usually packed.
ya its not the "best" track but its not crowded and gets the job done.

I was just calling my buddy 2day seeing if he wanted 2 go this coming thursday. We should all go.

Here is there scedual http://richmonddragway.com/ver9/wp-c...-schedule1.pdf

Any chance you have a car trailor?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #40
SubieChik
LXRY STI

no I don't. We'll have to see. I have friday off but my husband works so I don't know if he will want to be out that late.