Plazzzzzzzmaahhhh..... - Page 3 - LegacyGT.org
LegacyGT.org     subaru gift, subaru calendar

Go Back   LegacyGT.org > Off-Topic > Off-Topic

Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #41
STEye
Moderator L337

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenmateer
I'm guessing this is because your receiver/amplifier has HDMI connections, but doesn't support HDMI audio. Receivers around $500 and under generally don't support HDMI audio, so you have to run either stereo cables like you did, or optical or digital coaxial alongside the HDMI cable. It's annoying. This is probably the case if you're connecting your HD components to the receiver with HDMI and then connecting the receiver's HDMI output to the TV.

Or are you connecting the TV's audio output to your stereo? You said, "I can't get my stereo to play through my stereo", so hopefully you can see why I'm a little confused. Whatever the problem is, it's most likely not a problem with the cable.
More and more receivers have a "pass through" for HDMI these days. What you have to be cognizant of is whether or not it's a 1080i or 1080p pass through. If it's the former, then it will output 1080i regardless of the input signal. The later is the way to go if you have a Full HD TV.
Hoff Fan Club Member #002!
STEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
havanisda

Fixed. Shoulda said I can't get my TV 2 play thru my stereo using the HDMI cable.
This is the HTiB I have. It's got 1 HDMI output which should be all I need 2 run the DVD player and stereo w/the TV correct?

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...-31416389.html
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #43
kagenmateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEye
More and more receivers have a "pass through" for HDMI these days. What you have to be cognizant of is whether or not it's a 1080i or 1080p pass through. If it's the former, then it will output 1080i regardless of the input signal. The later is the way to go if you have a Full HD TV.
You're talking about picture resolutions where passthrough means it will not upconvert component to HDMI and you must have HDMI in to get HDMI out. You're also referring to upscaling which is when the receiver will upconvert a lower resolution signal to 1080I or 1080P. The newer, better ones will go to 1080P. Havanisda and I are talking about audio.

Last edited by kagenmateer; 09-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.
kagenmateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #44
kagenmateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanisda
Fixed. Shoulda said I can't get my TV 2 play thru my stereo using the HDMI cable.
This is the HTiB I have. It's got 1 HDMI output which should be all I need 2 run the DVD player and stereo w/the TV correct?

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...-31416389.html
When you say "I can't get my TV to play through my stereo", do you mean you can't get your television programs to play on your HTIB? If you are using one of the TV's built-in digital tuners (antenna or cable without a box), then you should have an optical/fiberoptic cable send the digital sound from the TV's optical output to the digital optical input on your HTIB, and once having done so, you need to switch your HTIB's input from DVD to AUX. Sometimes your auxilary input will be labeled tv/sat or something like that. It will be labeled on the back where you plug the optical cable in.

Your HDMI cable carries picture and sound out of your HTIB to the TV, but this has nothing to do with getting the sound for your TV shows into the HTIB.

Do you have a cable or satellite box, and if so, is it digital/HD?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #45
havanisda

Quote:
When you say "I can't get my TV to play through my stereo", do you mean you can't get your television programs to play on your HTIB? Yes.

Your HDMI cable carries picture and sound out of your HTIB to the TV, but this has nothing to do with getting the sound for your TV shows into the HTIB.

So I need 2 have an HDMI cable and the red/white RCA cable connected 4 my audio 2 get what I want correct?

Do you have a cable or satellite box, and if so, is it digital/HD?
I have DirectTV, it's digital but not HD. I guess if I want HD thru sat I'll have 2 get a new, upgraded HD receiver. Orrrr.... is that just somethin they unlock thru my sat box once I order it?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #46
havanisda

I figured it out 4 the DVD player. 4 some reason there's a difference in the top & bottom HDMI inputs in the back of the TV.
Time 2 watch Crank 2: High Voltage.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #47
STEye
Moderator L337

Quote:
You're talking about picture resolutions where passthrough means it will not upconvert component to HDMI and you must have HDMI in to get HDMI out. You're also referring to upscaling which is when the receiver will upconvert a lower resolution signal to 1080I or 1080P. The newer, better ones will go to 1080P. Havanisda and I are talking about audio.
I know you're talking about the audio. The passthrough allows you to take an incoming HDMI (sound and video) and pass it through the receiver for the sole reason of getting the HDMI audio from it. (And it is a video switcher as well) The 1080i passthrough will still do that, but the output video resolution is interlaced rather than progressive.

Upconverting/upscaling is a different story.

My crappy Sony receiver only does 1080i passthrough, so I don't even use it. I just bring HDMI into my TV, and run the SPDIF (digital fiber) from the device (like my XBOX360) directly into the receiver.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
kagenmateer

Quote:
I have DirectTV, it's digital but not HD. I guess if I want HD thru sat I'll have 2 get a new, upgraded HD receiver. Orrrr.... is that just somethin they unlock thru my sat box once I order it?
You have to upgrade the box. Your standard box should still have an optical out though (hopefully), so your optical cable should go from the sat box to the optical input on your HTIB. If your sat box only has analog audio out (red and white RCAs), then have those go into one of the analog audio inputs on your HTIB. Digital sound is generally much better than analog, so use it if you got it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #49
kagenmateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEye
I know you're talking about the audio. The passthrough allows you to take an incoming HDMI (sound and video) and pass it through the receiver for the sole reason of getting the HDMI audio from it. (And it is a video switcher as well) The 1080i passthrough will still do that, but the output video resolution is interlaced rather than progressive.

Upconverting/upscaling is a different story.

My crappy Sony receiver only does 1080i passthrough, so I don't even use it. I just bring HDMI into my TV, and run the SPDIF (digital fiber) from the device (like my XBOX360) directly into the receiver.
kk...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #50
havanisda

Why was I under the impression that 1 HDMI cable was supposed 2 elimin8 all RCAs. I thought I could run my HDMI cable from my TV<>HTIB and that would gimme all the audio/video signals thru that 1 cable.

DirectTV wants $100 per sat box 2 upgrade 2 HD boxes + $10/month.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #51
STEye
Moderator L337

Quote:
Why was I under the impression that 1 HDMI cable was supposed 2 elimin8 all RCAs. I thought I could run my HDMI cable from my TV<>HTIB and that would gimme all the audio/video signals thru that 1 cable.

One for each device! Wow DirectTV is expensive!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #52
havanisda

They're all expensive these days. Both sat & cable. I mean unless u wanna go w/a rooftop antenna and just pull the networks 4 free your always gonna be screwed.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #53
kagenmateer

Quote:
Think of it this way: signals can only travel one direction through an HDMI cable. So the HTIB is sending picture and sound to the TV, but nothing can come back from the TV to the HTIB.

Quote:
Bullchit. They'll always try to get an extra couple hundred bucks from if you if you call up and ask "how much?". Tell them Dish will give you all your equipment for free and your friend just signed up for DirecTV and got two HD DVRs for free...watch how quickly the story changes.

I sell DirecTV and I never charge for equipment anymore.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #54
havanisda

That's a bluff they can call cuz it's like a 2 year contract and if u cancel its something like a $200 cancellation fee.
So the ? is how do I get their HD receiver cheaper w/or w/out goin directly thru them.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #55
Dookie
;-0

Directv will upgrade your box if you ask for it, like Kagen said. Directv upgraded my box to HD/DVR for no additional cost besides the additional $10 a month HD service.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #56
kagenmateer

Quote:
That's a bluff they can call cuz it's like a 2 year contract and if u cancel its something like a $200 cancellation fee.
So the ? is how do I get their HD receiver cheaper w/or w/out goin directly thru them.
Are you currently in contract, or would you be new to them? If you'd be new, then srsly call up and say "I'm thinking about signing up with DirecTV, but Dish will give me all my equipment and installation for free". What they care about most is that you are a new customer and agree to sign the 2 year contract, making a little extra on the equipment is much less important to them than that. Keep in mind, you're not talking to DirecTV...you're talking to a representative that is most incentivized by the contract, and getting extra money from you up front for equipment is only icing on the cake.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #57
havanisda

The saga continues..... I'm in a contract w/them, they said since I've only been a customer for 2 yrs they can't upgrade me 4 free. However I thought it was as simple as swappin out my current sat box 4 an HD box. That's not the case, They said they have 2 also upgrade the dish 2 an HD dish. My current dish can't receive the HD signal. The best they can do is gimme free installation on the new dish and sat box. Still gonna cost me the $100 tho.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #58
kagenmateer

Tell them you're gonna go to Dish Network who is more than willing to give you all your equipment (and install) for free. Seriously, tell them this word for word, "If you can't give me my equipment for free, then I'll call Dish as soon as I hang up and sign up for HD, and when I call back, it'll be to cancel your service". Your call will get transferred to the "customer retention" department and doors will begin to open. If the guy you say that to doesn't tranfer you, then hang up and call back and whomever picks up the phone, tell that person "Hi, I'd like to cancel my service". They'll ask why, then you say, "because Dish is offering me all my HD equipment for free and DirecTV wants to charge me $100". He should then either make it happen or transfer you the retention department. The retention department is incentivesed on keeping your business. Absolute worst case scenario is that you still pay the $100, but you get a bunch of free programming and/or bill credits too. Tell them you'd be willing to pay the $100 up front if they'll take $10 off 10 bills. Sometimes that's how they work it out. Good luck!